The .338 Lapua Magnum, often simply referred to as .338 Lapua, is a powerful centerfire rifle cartridge designed for long-range shooting and hunting purposes. It’s known for its exceptional accuracy and ballistic performance, making it a preferred choice for military, law enforcement, and long distance hunting.
History: The development of the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge began in the 1980s as a collaboration between the Finnish rifle manufacturer Sako and the Finnish Defense Forces. The goal was to create a cartridge that could provide superior long-range performance compared to existing options while still being relatively compact and portable. The cartridge was officially introduced in 1989 by the Finnish company Lapua, hence the name “Lapua Magnum.”
Cartridge Characteristics: The .338 Lapua Magnum is larger and more powerful than many other popular rifle cartridges. Its notable features include:
- Caliber and Size: The cartridge has a nominal bullet diameter of .338 inches (8.58 mm). It’s larger than standard military cartridges like the 7.62x51mm NATO or the .308 Winchester.
- Case Design: The cartridge features a bottlenecked design, meaning the case diameter reduces at the neck from a wider base. This design enhances consistent chambering and extraction.
- Case Capacity: The case is relatively large, allowing for a significant amount of propellant, which in turn produces higher muzzle velocities and improved ballistic performance.
- Ballistic Performance: The .338 Lapua Magnum is known for its exceptional long-range accuracy and retained energy over extended distances. It’s capable of maintaining relatively flat trajectories and delivering substantial energy to targets even at ranges exceeding 1,000 yards/meters.
- Military and Civilian Use: The cartridge was initially developed for military and law enforcement applications, where it found use as an anti-personnel and anti-material round. However, due to its ballistics and accuracy, it gained popularity among hunters and long-range enthusiasts.
- Rifles: To take full advantage of the cartridge’s capabilities, specialized rifles with longer barrels and precision-made components are often used. Many rifle manufacturers produce rifles chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum.
- Ammunition Varieties: The .338 Lapua Magnum is available in various bullet weights and types, including full metal jacket, hollow point, and match-grade bullets, catering to different shooting needs.
Applications: The .338 Lapua Magnum is used for various purposes, including:
- Military and Law Enforcement: It’s used by military and police forces for long-range sniping, anti-material operations, and to engage targets that are beyond the effective range of standard rifles.
- Sport Shooting: In the civilian market, the cartridge is popular among precision rifle competitors and enthusiasts who participate in long-range shooting competitions and hunting at extended distances.
- Hunting: Some hunters use the .338 Lapua Magnum for hunting large game at long distances, particularly in open and mountainous terrain.
Due to its high performance and versatility, the .338 Lapua Magnum has gained recognition as a go-to choice for those who require exceptional accuracy and power at extended ranges.
ACTION:Bat Vesper Long Action
MUZZLE BREAK: SS PRO 4
CHASIS: McMillan Nimrod
DMB: UM DBM- Long
MAG: UM Long XL
SCOPE RINGS: Hawkins Precision Ultralight Rings
CERAKOTE: Layer 1 Multicam
TRIGGER: TriggerTech Dimond 2 Stage Pro
BIPODS: ATLAS CAL PSR BIPOD
WEIGHT: 10 lbs
RAIL: Hunters Rail
CARTRIDGE: 338 Lapua
DE + P : Installed
Machined and Built by Unknown Munitions
Rifle Only: $6328
Rifle with Scope and Bipod: $8647